Thursday, July 05, 2007

Red Light, Green Light 1, 2……

I want to tell you all a little story about my second experience with the Internet here in the Holy Land. My story begins with a company called Vonage, which is a VOIP phone service – basically I can make and receive phone calls on a regular phone but over the Internet instead of via phone lines. I signed up for Vonage and tried it out at my home before I left for Israel. It was simple to hook up and worked perfectly. That was then and this is now. Fast-forward a few weeks. I followed the exact same instructions that I used back in the US. Lights start flashing, then go solid, the flash, then red and then….NOTHING! No Vonage.

Josh and I signed up for our Internet through a package deal with Netvision and HOT. Netvision is our Internet provider and HOT provides the cable access. Unlike in the US, the Internet provider does not use a dynamic IP address rather it uses a “dialer.” (FYI: I have no idea what that all means). My Vonage box seems to only want to work with a dynamic IP address.

Phone call number 1 was to a very unhelpful Netvision, followed by a second, third, fourth and many more. Finally I decided to call Vonage and got help from a nice lady in India. She gave me suggestions and then said that she would call me back at 11 pm EST. Unfortunately I forgot the 7 hour time difference and received a call at 6:00 am. We sat and talked for two hours getting cut off twice. In the end….NOTHING! Suggestion from Vonage – call the internet provider and ask them to open 3 port ranges on my modem.

I call Netvision and they basically say “it’s not our problem.” I call HOT and they say “Netvision gave you the wrong information.” So Tzvika from HOT got me in touch with Gil from Netvision and BINGO. We got approval for a special type of connection through Netvision similar to the connection I had back in New York.

So Im Yirtzeh HaShem (God willing) Gil or Tal from Netvision will call me back next week and my Vonage will work. The bottom line is keep fighting and pushing for what you want because eventually you will get it

3 comments:

Varda said...

Dear Lyle,
I know that your persistance will get this accomplished. I am very happy that you are there and I am here because I am sure I would be feeling your frustration first hand and it is much better to be feeling it from afar. HAHA
I love you and hope to speak to you through Vonage very soon.
I love you
Mom

Jill CH said...

everyone has those issues with hot and netvision. one day i'll explain a dynamic IP address, but for now, good luck and enjoy jerusalem for me

Anonymous said...

Lyle,
Hope you are having a wonderful time ba'Aretz.
When we were in Israel we had to buy a router for the vonage- it was was costly but ultimately did the trick (cheaper than paying all of those long distance phone bills). Ask someone from my class about it for more guidance (I know Josh Barkin was the maven for all things Vonage).
Have a wonderful time in Israel. I am transfering to the NYC campus so hopefully I will see you there next year.