Sunday, July 22, 2007

Catching Up

I have been in Israel almost four weeks and already so much has happened. I went to Latrun for a Tekes (ceremony) and watched Bryan, my friend and former Carmel student, get recognized as he finished a training course in the army, spent Shabbos in Jerusalem, sat on the beach of Tel Aviv, began HUC orientation and finally began ulpan (intensive Hebrew).

Days before ulpan started I found myself in Tel Aviv dodging waves in the Mediterranean. Watching the waves crash over me I began to realize that my life would be one wave after another. Some waves will crash right over me; some right on me and still others will allow me to ride them. My goal is to ride each wave back to the shore. How I do that is the question. On my way back to Jerusalem, tired and sun burnt, everything began to set in – I am going to be in Israel for almost one year. How can I make each day be a blessing? Only time will tell!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyle,
It's so nice to hear that you're having such a good time. Wish I were sitting on the beach in the Mediterranean with you. I remember many, many years ago when I was there that I did the same thing. You can get a great tan with that type of sun. Sorry about your sunburn. You need some heavy duty sunblock. I hope you have a great year at HUC and do very well learning Hebrew. I know you will. We all hope to see you during one of the holidays this or next year. We miss you so much!!!
Love, Aunt Eva, Uncle Bob, Cousin Melissa, and the dogs

Anonymous said...

Yay Lol is in Israel!!! Hope you are having a great time. Did you ever get vonage to work??

David said...

OK, really, you fail at blogging.

Very soon you're losing your place on the far side my friend...