Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Going Away Party

A few months ago my parents, in preparation for me going to Israel, thought that I should have a going away party. Having a party is never easy, when should the party me made, where, what time and the list goes on. Originally my parents felt that the party should be Saturday night September 11. Can anyone tell me the first thought that pops into their head? Ahhhh yes, the day that the United States was attacked by terrorists. That is also the night of S'lichot, preparation for the Yamim Noraim. It is also Shabbat I didn't feel comfortable about having my party on Shabbat. So then my parents wanted the party on Saturday, August 21. The problem still remains that it would be Shabbat and now it was also Lauren's, my best friend, birthday. So it was finally decided to have the party on Sunday, August 22. The invitations were really nice and the poem on it was even nicer:

"Lyle is leaving, he's following his dream
He's happy, excited and a little sad-it seems
So come to our house on this very special day
Hug him and kiss him and send him on his way"





After months of planning yesterday was the big day. And it is a good thing we did not have it Saturday night because it rained the entire day and night. Everyone started to arrive around noon, just in time for the extremely good lunch catered by Ruven's Kosher Deli. Now the "frummers" that came could not eat the meat. You may ask why?...well even though the slogan for Hebrew National says they "Answer to a higher authority" they obviously don't answer to the "highest" authority...the Glatt G-d. So aside from great deli platters we had wraps! We also had an array of desserts including a sheet cake from a great kosher bakery, B&B, as well as great 7 layer cake that Nanny (AKA Ruby Kalish, Belferder Grandmother) had specially made for me.

The day was filled with great guests and lots of laughs. I can honestly say after all of that hard work (especially cleaning my room) a great time was had by all. For all of you that could not come, check out some pictures from the day by clicking here


No comments: